Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Staycation - Part One

Let it be known that I find the term "staycation" to be mildly annoying. However, it perfectly describes what Randyl and I have been doing for the past couple of days. She's about to enter a nine day in a row stretch at work so we decided to maximize some off time. I took vacation days from the brewery and we decided to do some local travel.

I started the day with a mild hangover (as evidenced by an awesome session on UnTappd) so we filled our bellies with breakfast from Eggtc. and drove up to St Joseph, Missouri. Our destination was the Glore Psychiatric Museum. We've heard from friends and family that it's worth the trip and decided to check it out. I'm more into the odd stuff than Randyl is, but the place is fascinating. The atmosphere wasn't quite what we expected, but they have several rooms over two floors featuring antiquated/historical treatment for mental illness. As we learned more about the way those with mental illnesses were treated before much was understood about the human brain, we got a little bummed out. Mental illness went misunderstood for a long time and most methods of treatment were actually torturous. They do showcase a lot of artwork done by patients over the years. We saw some cool works that further humanized the plight of the mentally ill. I know, I know, the whole thing sounds like a bummer trip, but it was quite enlightening and fascinating. We took a few pictures, but I find these two to be most interesting:

Over 1400 objects that were swallowed by a female patient.
They were extracted during a surgery.
This is a journal of sorts that was embroidered by a schizophrenic patient.
Attached to the Glore Museum you can also view a Civil War medicine exhibit as well as the St. Joseph Black Archives. Despite the somewhat sensitive subject matter of some of the displays everything is handled with total compassion and dignity. It was well worth the drive and the five dollars admission. 

We came back to Kansas City in the late afternoon for lunch at one of my favorite spots in town, Genghis Khan. They've really stepped up their game with their craft beer selection offering most of the Smokestack Series and a few other great beers. It's a Mongolian BBQ so if you don't like the food, it's your own fault. In typical Jeremy fashion I made a couple of ridiculously spicy plates and felt like I had consumed the sun. It was delicious and totally worth it.

After some relaxation time with the dog, we set out to see the final installment of the Harry Potter movies. I've never read the books and have zero desire to, but Randyl has and is somehow able to keep the story lines of all the movies separate. I can't remember who's dead/alive or good/evil. I did get the pleasure of asking a girl to quit texting with her super bright smart phone. I'm such a rule enforcing cool guy.
Pit bulls are crazy vicious. 
The end of day one was more relaxation with the dog and more beer drinking. Surprise. I know this account has been completely riveting and you can't wait to read more about day two, but you're going to have to. We've got more doing nothing to do.


  1. I had never heard of that museum. Sounds like a good time.

  2. Listen to this:

  3. Jeremy,
    You sound downright compassionate! Who the hell are you?